In The Bathroom
Designing a new bathroom or adapting an existing one for accessibility requires careful consideration and planning to ensure that your needs are met. We also focus on wash and dry toilet options which help you to maintain independence.
Accessible Bathroom Planning
Things To Consider
When designing your ideal bathroom it is important that you consider your current and possible changing needs.
- Walk-in & level access showers with half height shower doors or fixed screens that are wheelchair friendly
- Shower seats: Fold-away shower seats and added comfort chairs with extra padding, arms and back-rest
- Lower step shower trays to reduce the risk of falling
- Wet rooms for a modern look that allow for greater ease of movement, maintenance & cleaning
- Height adjustable wash basins
- Bespoke grab rails:
- Coloured rails for the visually impaired
- Non-slip and easy to grab rails
- Taps that supply hot water on demand and taps with thermostatic options to avoid accidental scalding
- Heated towel rails, underfloor heating and efficient space-saving radiators
- Recessed lighting, discreet lighting and light mirrors
Combined Wash and Dry Toilets, Wash and Dry Toilet Seats
Clos-o-Mat and Geberit are major manufacturers of automatic shower (wash and dry) toilets, which enable anyone with limitations to toilet with little or no help, enhancing their hygiene, independence, dignity and privacy.
Comfortcleanse and Tooaleta are also manufacturers/suppliers of combined wash and dry toilet systems or wash and dry toilet seats (sometimes called Japanese toilet seats).
Visit their websites to find out more and see the ranges available:
Closomat Disability And Conditions Guide to Finding the Right Toilet for you
Closomat have produced a Disability and Conditions guide which provides information on how a Closomat toilet can assist people with a range of disabilities. This includes how their toilets can help those affected by thalidomide.
Bathroom Gadgets And Equipment
The Shower Gadget
The Shower System standard makes your everyday life easier. It is operated automatically by simply pressing against the brush. The variable height adjustment of the system is carried out manually by sliding it up or down the bar. Watch video of how to fit this system.
Bio Bidet Toilet Seat
Can be fitted to any toilet system to convert it into a self-washing toilet. Suitable for users who suffer with mobility. Enables independence and dignity in the bathroom. Control panel for pulsating, massage, turbo and posterior options.
Transferrable Bath Chair
The Adult Tilt in space Chair is for people who need a little extra support when seated. The chair is highly adaptable and comes with a range of adjustable features to suit the user perfectly. Geberit Compatible
Opticare Eye Drop Dispenser
This helps you aim eye drops into the eye. Simply secure a bottle of drops inside this cylinder, turn it upside down and place over one eye. The tip is designed to ensure a single drop will go directly into the eye when you squeeze the side of it.