Future Money Matters
A brand new financial event just for beneficiaries.
“The one-to-one meetings were fantastic – financially life changing”
On 10 May 2018 The Thalidomide Trust held its first finance themed event for beneficiaries called ‘Future Money Matters’. The event, held at the Hilton Metropole Hotel in Birmingham was attended by 27 beneficiaries and proved to be a great success. The morning of the event was designated to providing beneficiaries with informative sessions delivered by external speakers covering a range of financial topics, including:
- Personal Trusts (Caple Banks Wealth Management)*
- Savings & Investments (Caple Banks Wealth Management)
- Pensions & Retirement Planning (Centre for Financial Education)*
- Making a Will (Lodders Solicitors)*
- Lasting Power of Attorney (Lodders Solicitors)*
- VAT Exemption for Disabled People (Price Waterhouse Coopers)
*Four of the session topics were filmed to help make some of the information presented at the event more widely available to beneficiaries that were unable to attend on the day. We have uploaded the videos below. They all feature subtitles, to turn them on click on the ‘CC’ icon on the video screen.
The afternoon of the event provided beneficiaries with the opportunity to have ‘one-to-one meetings with the financial specialists that attended on the day. This enabled beneficiaries to receive bespoke information, advice and guidance around financial matters that were pertinent to them. Running alongside the ‘one-to-one’ meetings was an open afternoon session which provided an informal and relaxed environment for beneficiaries to meet each other, socialise and catch up – an aspect of the event that beneficiaries fed back they really enjoyed. Here is some other sample feedback from beneficiaries that attended the event:
- “It was nice to hear that the external speakers already had a relationship with the Trust and some beneficiaries too, which meant following our ‘one-to-one’ meetings we now intend to make further appointments”
- “Useful information, especially pensions and retirement planning, hopefully I can reduce my hours at work now!”
- “You could not have been more caring, welcoming and accommodating at this event, thank you”
- “The VAT exemption for disabled people factsheet is now eagerly awaited!”
- “Having attended the event, I will now be making contact with two of the external speakers”
Will the event be held again?
If you missed the event, don’t worry, the Trust will be planning to hold another ‘Future Money Matters event in 2019 in a different location. So watch this space! In the meantime we hope you find the video content from the event both useful and informative.